Friday, May 23, 2014

Watercolor Class Bonus Day -- Stained Glass

I received a few new flower stamps today so was able to play with another technique shown on the bonus day:  faux stained glass using vellum and watercolors.

My first attempt is the card with the single flower.  I used white embossing powder which wasn't fine enough to capture the detail in the leaves--it occurred to me afterwards that I could have not stamped the centers.  I dry embossed the panel beneath the vellum but found it really difficult to capture that on film.  I used Picked Raspberry for the centers to about the middle of the petals then used Mustard Seed from the edge of the petals in to get a really nice blend.  I used the ink straight from the pad without water.  Really easy.

For the second card I wanted to use the right side again but my attempt to remove the embossing didn't pan out.  The Versamark sticky remained although the embossing powder came off just fine.  I flipped it over and used the smooth side.  I added the sentiment with Memento Rich Cocoa straight up (no embossing--this is an inkjet vellum so absorbs ink fairly well as long as you let it dry a moment unlike my first attempt).  Stitching and a sprinkling of champagne sequins finished her off. 

Speaking of sequins.  I dropped another container of sequins and was quickly pushed aside by Frankie who was feeling peckish.  He even nipped at me when I started to pick them up.  Um, addiction, anyone?

The Details:  Tim Holtz Distress Inks, WorldWin Photo Inkjet Vellum, Memento Cocoa Brown, Versafine Onyx Black, Imagine white embossing powder, Versamark, Hampton Art clear embossing powder, PTI sentiment and kraft cardstock

I'm entering the first card in CASology FlowerCharisma Cardz #11 May Flowers, Make My Monday Nature and Penny Black Saturday Fav PB Stamp

3 comments:

  1. Does Frankie have his own desk too? I love your gorgeous flowers on both cards! So glad you joined us at CASology this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful card - thanks so much for joining in with us at MMM this week - Jacqueline xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful card - love your choice of favourite stamp!
    Thanks for playing at the Penny Black Saturday Challenge!
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments. I really enjoy and appreciate them all!